47th Annual Marin County International Festival of Short Film and Video
June 30 — July 4, 2017
- Deborah Doyle, San Francisco
- Paul Hill, Director/Producer, Alaska Far Away, San Francisco
- Kevin Perry, Post Production/Marketing, Dolby Studios, San Francisco
- Jen Speed, Editor, Skywalker Ranch, Marin County
Timeline & Rules
- Only Quicktime MOVs, high bit-rate MP4s, non-encrypted DCPs or DVDs will be screened.
- Maximum running time in all formats is 30 minutes.
- The preview format must be a Quicktime/MP4 file (Min. 720p), Youtube/Vimeo link or a DVD.
- Films & videos must have been completed after January 1, 2015.
ONLINE QT FILE OR DVD PREVIEW COPY, STAMPED & SELF ADDRESSED
RETURN MAILING ENVELOPE & ENTRY FORM DUE:
Early Deadline: Friday, March 31, 5 pm, Fair Office.
Late Deadline: Friday, April 14, 5 pm, Fair Office.
Address: Marin County Fair — 10 Avenue of the Flags — San Rafael, CA 94903.
Entry Fee: None.
Non-Selected Entries Returned: Shipped by Friday, May 19.
Winners must provide a QuickTime MOV (ProResHQ or DNxHD codec), high-bitrate (25Mb/s or more) MP4 at 720p or better resolution, or a non-encrypted DCP or a DVD no later than: Friday May 26, 5pm (via online delivery or USB drive)
Email Address: firstname.lastname@example.org
Return of Accepted Entries: Shipped by Friday, July 21
1. Eligibility: Open to students and independent filmmakers 19 years of age and older. (Juniors 9 through 18 should enter the Junior Video Competition. Films and videos commercially subsidized are eligible. Entries must have been completed after January 1, 2015. Films and videos entered in previous years may not be resubmitted.
2. Preview Format: For preview purposes, all entrants must submit only Online QuickTime/MP4 files (min. 720p), YouTube/Vimeo links, or a DVD. Only entries submitted with stamped and self-addressed padded envelopes will be returned by mail. Email address: email@example.com.
3. Accepted Entry Format: QuickTime MOV (ProResHQ or DNxHD codec), high-bitrate (25Mb/s or more) MP4 at 720p or better resolution, or a non-encrypted DCP or a DVD. (NO HDCam or Beta). Maximum running time is 30 minutes.
4. Copyright Laws: All music and other copyright material used in films and videos must be original or be used by permission of author or publisher.
5. Promotion: Publicity materials and photos should be included with entries.
6. Public Screening: Winning entries are presented over several days to a large and diverse audience comprised of all ages, often including young children. Films that are considered offensive or unsuitable for children will not be accepted for judging.
7. Shipping of Entries: Every precaution will be taken in the handling and exhibiting of film/video; however, the Fair will not be responsible for loss or damage to entries while in its custody. HDCAM and Beta SP video cassettes and DVDs must be shipped in standard case and packaged with care — do not use fiberfill envelopes to mail video tapes.
8. International Entries: All foreign language films must be submitted with English subtitles.
9. Return: Persons other than the filmmaker who wish to pick up entries must have a signed letter of authorization from the maker and notify the festival coordinator before pick up.
Note: It is essential for each entrant to provide an address at which the returned film can be received during normal working hours. Substitute or vacation addresses must be provided in the event an entrant is away from
her or his permanent address. If a film/video is returned to the Fair Office, it
will be held until a correct address and cost of return mail are received.
Division 65 Short Film & Video
$1,500 in Cash Prizes & Ribbons will be awarded among the six categories at the Jurors’ discretion. Also — Jury Awards & Honorable Mention Awards.
2016 Award Winners
- Best Documentary I am Yup’ik Daniele Anastasion & Nathan Golon, USA
- Best Children/Family The Gnomist Sharon Liese, USA
- Best Animation Stick Man Sarah Roberts, U.K.
- Best Narrative The Library Jason Lamotte, U.K.
- Honorable Mention — Comedy Duellum Tucker Davila Wood, Spain
- Honorable Mention Documentary Hans Harris Cohen, USA
- Honorable Mention Documentary Mutual Rescue™: Eric & Petey Humane Society of Silicon Valley, USA
- Honorable Mention Narrative 5 Secundos David González, Spain
- Special Prize Lost Village George Todria, Spain